Prevention of child and adolescent obesity
The Prevention Stream of ACAORN provides the opportunity for collaboration between emerging, mid and established career researchers interested in child and adolescent obesity prevention research.
Prevention Stream members are currently engaged in research involving children and adolescents in a range of settings, including pre-schools, primary and secondary schools. We are currently leading the largest community-based interventions in Australia.
The Prevention Stream goals are to:
- Promote evidence that can be used to inform interventions in large scale whole-of-community interventions.
- Identify areas of importance and future directions for childhood and adolescent obesity prevention research
- Facilitate collaborations and facilitate high quality research in obesity prevention
- Provide opportunities for post-graduate and post-doctoral education and training in paediatric obesity prevention research.
The specific objectives of the stream are to:
- Identify gaps in the paediatric obesity literature in relation to obesity prevention
- Develop networks of current Australian and New Zealand researchers in the field of obesity prevention
- Provide opportunities for emerging researchers to share their work and foster national and international collaborations
- Improve access to relevant information for fellow researchers and public health professionals
- Develop research papers discussing the current issues in obesity prevention research
Dunedin School of Medicine, University of Otago, New Zealand
Associate Professor, Priority Research Centre in Physical Activity and Nutrition, University of Newcastle